maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Whatever Happened to...?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 November 2007, 3:26 PM  
Lets go back to NZ's first WOC team - 1976 according to the stats page. John and Val Robbie, John and Robyn Davies we know well and amazingly active after 31 years. Colin Battley I dimly remember, I think he has athritis. Greg Whitecliffe, didn't he run a private art school in Auckland? Any more about these two?

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 19 November 2007, 4:04 PM  
Greg Whitecliff died in the 80's.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 20 November 2007, 3:43 PM  
Here you go guys, Dave M went to his funeral:

President and Co-founder Professor Greg Whitecliffe passed away. Co-founder Michele Whitecliffe took up the Presidency. New Master of Arts in Arts Therapy Degree. Foundation Certificate of Arts and Design began. First Master of Fine Arts Degree graduates. Whitecliffe expanded to Amber House, Burton Street, Auckland.

By the way rob. g, talking of what ever happened to? An old fella with the nick name of doctor death is looking for a re-match. He wants to get you back on his table to re-live some of the good old times. He reckons he's still got your teeth marks in his table. Tania reckons he's still laughing about it.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 20 November 2007, 4:53 PM  
I thought it was about then... I used to play soccer with his son.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 21 November 2007, 12:23 AM  
I certainly got that wrong. The massage guy was Warwick Lightbourne, and he had to be the hardest massage guy around. He used to massage a torn calf with brute force and tell you to go for a run. Amazingly it mostly worked, until he tried the same on my arch and had me out for 6 months. I never went back.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 November 2007, 7:25 AM  
Continuing on a massage thread (or should that be sinew)... What about Jos Pols? Is he still (a) orienteering (b) massaging?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 26 November 2007, 2:44 PM  
yup Jos is still around, both orienteering and massaging.

note to people in auckland: he's in pakuranga and does a good job

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 29 November 2007, 5:19 AM  
Here's one for you sleuths out there...

Whatever happened to...Gordon Pirie, the "father" of rogaining in NZ? I presume he has died. He was a world-class runner in his time too.

Show Profile  superOman Posted: 29 November 2007, 5:38 AM  
If we are talking about the guy from England according to Wikipedia he died 7 December 1991

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 November 2007, 6:55 AM  
http://www.gordonpirie.com/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 November 2007, 7:48 AM  
Wonder what brought him to NZ?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 May 2008, 6:13 AM  
Ray Pratt (one time coach of the year) - Doing adverts on TV for fire safety

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 October 2008, 2:20 AM  
Anyone remember David Nevin formerly of Whangarei? He's been teaching (English I think) in China and emails me from time to time.

"I escaped the flat, straight roaded 10 laned dry Beijing, to Macau which is about as big as Auckland from NewLynn to Otahuhu. Or smaller. But it has 2 ex-islands with scrubby hills and lots of trails/4wd tracks/stairs/ and green fight. the scrub isn't really very old... Anyway I joined Hash harriers for some exercise and they use the trails, and there's a stack of Boy Scout groups, and no O.

"So today I bought photogrammetry :-) and will make two maps. One for Hash trail setters/Boy Scout yellow grades and one for orienteering, as there are a few bits of white/slow run. Top of the hill is 147m or some low height. If you Google Earth, look at Coloane island."

He says he has a spare bedroom:-)) I won't put his email here without his say-so, but will pass it on if you ask me: michael.wood (at) mapsport (dot) co.nz

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 October 2008, 1:35 AM  
Ray Pratt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd9izyCiSy8

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 November 2008, 3:15 AM  
Flock House, near Bulls. Scene of some memorable D Squad camps, perhaps the start of Rob G's coaching career. Formerly a farm training institute set up after WW1 with profits made during compulsory acquisition of the wool clip as a "war material". The homestead centenary will be celebrated on Dec 6. Think its operating as a hotel/conference centre now, anyone been there recently?

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz