maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Sport Ident Organisational Matters

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 March 2010, 2:27 PM  
When I was new at this, someone suggested to always call your event "national" when you load the data into Winsplits. This is because Winsplits shows national/international events by default, and you have to dig a bit deeper to find local or club events. Not every club does this, PAPO for example loads club as "club".

I wonder if the rest of us should fall into line and use Winsplits as it was intended? It would just take a little education to show people where to look.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 16 March 2010, 12:45 AM  
I find it a bit annoying to have to go down and select club each time actually.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 October 2010, 3:50 AM  
Russell is using alternative software, there may be others. Interested in any experience of a new version of OE and of the British one:

"Although I am sure that OE2010 will be an improvement over OE2003, in the UK many clubs have changed to AutoDownload, written by the team at SportidentUK. It has been used at multiday events with 20000 runs, relay events, IOF ranking events, Park World Tour as well as numerous smaller events.(Reuse of SIcards is handled automatically.)
Definitely worth a look. www.sportident.co.uk/autodownload/"

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 5 October 2010, 10:14 AM  
Martin was Beta testing OE2010 a while ago - and it is available for download to evaluate or purchase now. Nice to see a manual for it - and I look forward to exploring/reading more after TONIC. I'm keen for AOC to look to upgrade or consider other options as well. I note the price changes depending on the maximum number of expected competitors.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 6 October 2010, 7:36 AM  
I've also tried the Irish "Or" and Estonia "SIME" which look like good alternatives for club events. Still to try AutoDownload, looks promising and it is based on a more common database than OE2010. In saying that, OE2010 is a big improvement on OE2003

Show Profile  Greg Hawthorne Posted: 7 October 2010, 10:39 AM  
I'm evaluating event software for Orienteering Tasmania, specifically OE2010 and Autodownload (AD). The major difference between them is the interface style and hence usability. AD has a browser style interface, and is quite intuitive. OE has a traditional Windows-syle interface, and this makes handling some aspects of event management easier, once you figure out how to use them. AD gives you a fully functional version to trial (limited by competitor number), whereas the evaluation version of OE is pretty useless, in my opinion, as you are limited to pre-loaded events. If you are not committed to OE through use of earlier versions, AD is definitely worth a look, especially if OE intimidates potential organisers.

We also use Or for smaller midweek events, and organisers have found it OK, but in my opinion it's far less intuitive than AD, and it appears to be limited to single events, with no support for relays or multi-day events.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 August 2011, 3:51 AM  
Martin has commented about compatibility issues with SI cards. It is sensible that, as well as announcing that an event will use SI, organisers should state any limitations on the cards that can be used.

Version 5 (the original) and version 6 cards (faster, more storage) can be read by all SI stations. After suggestions that there would be no more V5's they continue to be available.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 8 August 2011, 8:35 AM  
SI-9 cards are the new 'standard'

Compatibility is only an issue when the sportident box does not have up-to-date firmware or is older than the black version 7 boxes.

SI-8 have the numbers 2 000 000 - 2 999 999
SI-9 have the numbers 1 000 000 - 1 999 999

CMOC now has a set of 100 SI-9 cards that can hold 50 controls and 200 SI-8 cards.

I disagree Michael, in that it should be up to the organisers to accomodate competitors or provide a loan, but that this needs to be identified prior to the start

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 30 August 2011, 1:26 PM  
Martin - how do you manage an event when the vast amount of people turning up are hiring chips?
Okay - that's an open question to any club.
For our events we get up to 100 people hiring and typing so much info in is a real effort.
So self registration somehow?
which software do you use?

WOC use oe2003 with registration slips that they write on.
Our oe2033 archive isn't up to date either.
Looking at Geco or OR or Autodownload etc

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 30 August 2011, 4:14 PM  
I've started using OE2010, mostly because it has good functionality for updating the archive (the auckland one is up to date now, and includes most of the SI cards in NZ used at big events).

It can also do the registrations as people finish which can be handy. When the number of hire cards increase adding a second laptop for typing will be the next step

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 December 2012, 12:42 AM  
This seems worth finding out about. Although the topic seems to be a Russian version of SI, the developments described are happening in Australia.

http://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_763618#message763785

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 December 2012, 12:54 AM  
Another discussion refers to a possible development by Sport Ident. Basically put the (cheaper) sticks at the controls and competitors carry the (more expensive) "stations". Seems more like the Emit architecture. To be practical the stations have to be reduced in size.

http://www.sportident.com/images/PDF/1_si_base_products/1_control%20cards/SI-fCard/fCard_information%20sheet_en.pdf

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 April 2013, 12:16 PM  
So... you would recommend OE2010 Martin, over AutoDownload? While not wanting to restrict anyone, it would be better for learning transfer if we mostly used the same software. Does it let a card be used again in the same event? Are there other incentives to update? Cost?

What actually led me to re-find this thread, is the export of the splits CSV file in a format that suits both Winsplits (tolerant) and RouteGadget (not). It seems that the OE2003 CSV format is not actually a standard, in that you can specify different separators and maybe text-enclosing characters. And RG only accepts some. Roger's otherwise excellent "How to put your event into RG" doesn't give any guidance on this. Who knows? Aside from me wasting time, I would guess that the Otago School Champs has run into this problem - the map is there but you can't see courses or people.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 April 2013, 12:26 PM  
I am familiar with OE2010 and would recommend it. Note that I haven't used AutoDownload extensively. Previously I approached NZOF about developing a training course for sportident (covering software and hardware) however this was rejected as unnecessary (!)

Does it let a card be used again in the same event? Yes - there is a workaround for this - in Entries, find the old competitor who used the chip and change the chip number next to their entry (add a 9 to start/end is what I do). Then allocate the chip to another person.

Are there other incentives to update? It can also display results on a scrolling screen which has been very useful the past 2 years. I just setup the laptop at the finish and have a 24" screen running alongside with the results. The archive has been improved and can be updated using the current event.

Cost? Costs are on the website

RouteGadget - I haven't had any problems using OE2003 or OE2010 to export splits for RouteGadget using the default settings in each piece of software.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 16 April 2013, 2:27 PM  
I used OE 2010 for the 1st time this year, and again over Easter, I like it how it uses XML to export/import all courses results etc

And it allows you to upload direct results, I know you can use O Lynx, this isn't as good, but still gets the stuff out there easily for anyone to see

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz