maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Sport Ident Organisational Matters

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 16 April 2013, 3:34 PM  
Both PAPO and NOC raised the issue regarding Sportident training at the last NZOF AGM it was deemed to be a 'club issue' by other club reps at the AGM. However, strangely the NZOF running mapping clinics wasn't contested.

Martin, NOC would be more than keen for you to come down and run a tutorial here in Nelson. We can cover expensives. We have a facility at Sport Tasman that we can use. PAPO and others are you keen to attend?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 17 April 2013, 12:11 AM  
Expensive expenses by the sounds even Martin :-p

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 17 April 2013, 3:36 AM  
Cr@p...

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 17 April 2013, 3:51 AM  
When does a 'club issue', experienced by probably more than a quarter of clubs in NZ, become a national issue?

Doesn't it have striking similarities to not having enough controllers or mappers?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 April 2013, 6:42 AM  
I think we need to clear a few things up on here.

At no stage Martin have we said training is unneccesary for Sport Ident, and in fact I think you'll find we acknowledge that Sport Ident and "Technology" in general are very important parts of the sport.

There are plenty of ways to skin a cat. In this instance around Sport Ident we have a number of individuals around the country all doing their own thing. We need to facilitate discussion and developments of ideas, not having one person roll out their thinking across a group of individuals who are all relatively highly skilled in IT and all have their own best ways of doing things.

We did have a request for us to cover your costs to attend an event so you could run sport ident and yes we did turn that down. Why? Because what is NZOF's role? It isn't subsidising controllers, mappers or event sport ident to just go do something for other clubs.

There are other issues around Sport Ident popping up all the time. We need a keen group to talk, engage and disseminate information to the wider Sport Ident runners around the country and also to controllers where ultimately the buck stops for event fairness.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 April 2013, 6:46 AM  
And for the record this is a great place for people to talk Sport Ident and it's really pleasing to see!

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 17 April 2013, 8:26 AM  
addison, I suggest you check the facts as no such request to cover costs to attend an event and run sportident was ever made.

There was a proposal put forward for a sportident clinic in two locations however this was not taken up by NZOF.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 17 April 2013, 8:28 AM  
Back to more relevant topics: Michael what software are you using at present, OE2003?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 April 2013, 12:23 PM  
Don't worry Martin I do know my facts.

I appreciate your willingness to do something like this, but don't go slagging NZOF off out of context.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 17 April 2013, 5:09 PM  
Why would you want to skin a cat? Not making friends with Gareth Morgan I hope, Simon?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 April 2013, 6:17 PM  
OE2003. Sorry this is a bit 2nd hand but our SI guys are not so active any more. I'm trying to get answers cos I want to see prompt results!

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 19 April 2013, 10:51 AM  
Michael, we tracked down that it was the format of the csv file being exported from OE2003 that was causing this issue with Routegadget.

Sorry, didn't realise it was still happening.

I suggest checking the csv export option delimiter setting for this and making sure it uses the correct output field separator.

From memory the problematic csv file had tabs as the field-delimiter. Routegadget only accepts certain delimiters. Winsplits is more tolerant and accepts a wider range of delimiter characters.

Within sportident, I suggest they change the delimiter to commas or semicomas between fields (whatever works best). I don't use it enough to recall where it is or which one is not accepted. Martin - do you recall this?

Google suggested this from our Aussie ACT friends http://act.orienteering.asn.au/gfolder/event-management/Instructions%20For%20Using%20OE2003%20with%20Index.pdf which has some nice screenshots and info.

Could also ask Carsten to check with the routegadget guy if it can be fixed to handle all delimiters to avoid the issue in future.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 19 April 2013, 11:12 AM  
In response to the SPORTident software training comments:

I agree having a person on site for training is great and can get things done quicker - sometimes it may not be possible, especially for the odd one off fix-it job.

A couple of free tricks-of-the-trade tools which can be very helpful:

1. http://www.TeamViewer.com For Windows PC software - Provides an easy remote control online tool (even easier than the one built into Windows - as you direct them to the teamviewer website and click on the big green button to start). You can show the other person what is going wrong and they can take control of your PC and fix it for you (or I guess its possible to make it worse too. Warning! ;-) Its free for private use among friends. Don't need to install on the PC either - just run it on the two pcs. Commercial license is pricey as its really useful.

2. http://join.me allows you to have screen based meetings free with 10 people. The cool thing is they can use their Apple/Windows PC or iPhone/iPad/Android tablet any where in the world to watch and participate. It was recently recommended by Time Mag website as one of the top must have apps.

If you want more features anyone can pay a very reasonable monthly amount around $US19 for a month or $149/year and that Pro person can let someone else run the session and can have up to 250 people plus get access to a NZ land line phone number to call in on instead of the internet call. Haven't used it yet. Sounds too good to be true. Planning on using it at an upcoming meeting.

There are many similar competing products out there - but these are both my current preferences. The same people who provide Join.Me have a competitive product to Teamviewer. I note both likely have not-for-profit pricing as well on request.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 19 April 2013, 11:31 AM  
I guess I better add to that and say - no - I didn't use remote access on the problematic sportident computer. The posts are completely separate.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 April 2013, 12:15 PM  
Rog you've just muddied the waters. Martin says that the default settings in OE2003 produce satisfactory csv files. Now I might be able to muck around with the innards of the file but I shouldn't have to, I just want to tell our SI guys USE THE DEFAULT SETTINGS.

(Since I consulted you recently I got a csv using commas that didn't go into RG until I changed to semi-colons, but as I say I don't want to have to know about this messy stuff. I'm sick of re-inputting events into RG. And with the lack of people posting their routes I'm nearly at the point of giving up.)

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz