maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Mapping Policies

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 1 April 2011, 3:21 PM  
Foxit Reader (Free) can add circles, lines and text to pdf files (and save them). http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 April 2011, 2:37 AM  
Can you install it without making "Ask" your default search provider?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 March 2012, 7:53 AM  
An issue which bothers my conscience. I've raised it with my NZOF councillor but I think that wider discussion is needed.

On the one hand, I would like to see OCAD on the computers of lots of members, to spread expertise and the mapping load. "Mapping" is no longer just the business of an expert taking some brand new area through to maps on the shelf. It is also the week-by-week preparation of maps with a slightly different window from last time, a bigger scale for some courses, and the odd tweak for a new track etc.

On the other hand the good people at OCAD have created an awesome piece of software and they want to get a return on their investment and fund continuing development. They have only ever sold one-person licences. I think this is widely ignored in New Zealand and probably elsewhere too. There are many copies of OCAD on other computers, for the above very practical reasons.

Since version 9-point-something, OCAD requires an online activation to run, and this electronically prevents a copy from running on more than two computers. The second copy is allowed for backup purposes, I don't think it is intended for a second person.

What this means is that many people are using version 8 or early version 9's. They may be using it beyond the terms of the licence, and they are certainly missing out on later features such as importing GPX files. The software is moving on and version 11 will soon be out.

I believe we should try to find a solution that meets the needs of both clubs and OCAD. This would require negotiation with OCAD for some sort of club licence. We would get nowhere by ourselves, it would have to be through the IOF. We might begin by chewing it over with Australia.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 March 2012, 12:35 PM  
This may look like an advert but it is not. I hope that Maptalk remains commercial-free.

Former Dunedin orienteer now working in Melbourne, Ken Dowling, has been appointed by OCAD as its Australian retailer. This doesn't change the retail price or stop anyone dealing with OCAD directly, I think the move is about putting more effort into marketing particularly to non-orienteering users.

New Zealand doesn't have a retailer and Ken may market here too. He first suggested I might wish to become an OCAD retailer. I have decided not to. The main reason is my wish to see OCAD on as many computers as possible, see above. Being a retailer would give me conflicts of interest. (That's if there IS any interest in solving the licensing issues:-))

In Australia Ken uses the business name MapSport, but there is no connection with my MAPsport business in New Zealand. Ken was among NZ's first OCAD users and I frequently consult him on knotty questions. Through other interests in a printing business he is particularly expert with printing issues.

Show Profile  Dave N Posted: 2 April 2012, 6:43 AM  
I was in Beijing for 3 years, there is O at university level, and at high school level, but official events rigorously collect the maps at the finish. If they don't, some one sells his map and next week, there's an informal event on the same ground, run commercially. Or at least, by students who make some money.
I volunteered to update on old map, but was given money because that's what they do.
Doesn't seem to be an easy path between IP and easy access to maps...
Dave

Show Profile  Dave N Posted: 2 April 2012, 6:46 AM  
Someone asked me, do O clubs archive their maps? And it's a good question. Maps define the history of a chunk of land at a known date and are thus a historical record of the landscape, and they are 'published' in a sense or two.

Is any club deliberately keeping copies and/or passing them onto the local library historical room/National Library ??
Dave

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 2 April 2012, 9:07 AM  
You can search the National Library online and there are some O maps in their archives - from memory early Central/Auckland maps and some others; Bryan T. is/was interested in archiving maps and started an Omaps project; some clubs (e.g. Hawkes Bay) take care of their own patch quite well (see their website)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 April 2012, 10:08 AM  
Sometime after the use of short-run (digital) printing the concept of "a map" as an entity started to disappear. We now have "mapped areas" which continually evolve. We produce an extract for an event which may have the same name as previous "maps" but with different boundaries and minor or major differences in the underlying detail.

So Dave, what exactly would we keep and/or pass on to a historical organisation? More important than any collection of previous versions is the need to strictly ensure that the latest version of each file is maintained somewhere:-))

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 2 April 2012, 10:57 AM  
I have scans of hundreds of old maps - only some are on omaps.
Auckland/Central (thanks to Craig Pearce) have also scanned all their old maps and sent me a copy). At some time in the future I plan to come out with a production version of omaps (it's really only beta with some (privacy) concerns from some clubs over allowing public access to old and/or more recent maps and how the data and maps could be used/abused). The site should contain all the scans and info I have on old maps. Over time I would then try to encourage other clubs to send to me (as Statistician of NZOF) a scaned copy or digital copy of all their maps which are not on the site or not in the NZOF archive. At some point after this I would like to approach the National Library and allow them to have a copy as well (they have many - obtained on an ad-hoc basis as they are the official government keeper of all published maps). I would also like to keep a copy of all Ocad files and versions which are used (published) for an event.

That's my view - and I may be able to help anyone with a manual request at the moment - but the online version will take some time (years) and I'm pretty busy with Oceania / World Cup at the moment so can't really pursue my pet project in anger for a while.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 2 April 2012, 3:08 PM  
Hawkes Bay keep low res copies of all historical club maps thanks to the phenomenal efforts of Dave Fisher.
You can find it under the Resources/History section at www.hborienteering.com

Show Profile  Linley Posted: 9 April 2012, 4:28 PM  
Have you seen the book: Map New Zealand; 100 Magnificent maps from the collection of the A. Turnbull Library (ISBN9781869621261)?. Have a look at page 204 for a 1986 Orienteering Map of Auckland Domain. Beautiful... and it must mean that at least one orienteering map has made it into that collection!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 June 2012, 5:06 AM  
OCAD has announced the release of Version 11 on Monday. There are continuing advances which will be valuable to some users - best discussed in the other "Mapping" thread.

More generally, they have taken a partial step towards a "club licence". There's a "starter version" with limited facilities (not quite sure how limiting they are yet) at E150 (approx NZD250) and a bundle of 5 for E560 (approx NZD930).

I'm not sure it goes far enough, but clubs should look at it to ensure compliance with licence terms. There may still be a need for federation and international action to get OCAD on lots more computers.

Show Profile  superOman Posted: 1 June 2012, 3:06 PM  
https://www.ocad.com/downloads/ocad11/misc/OCAD11_functionality_chart.pdf shows the limits of each version

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 June 2012, 7:57 AM  
The starter version has pretty good functionality, perhaps the 10,000 maximum on the number of objects might be the biggest limitation. I like continuing line objects such as contours and my typical orienteering map is 5-10,000 objects, some are over. Some cartographers draw lines in lots of small segments, and colours in many small patches.

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 7 June 2012, 12:08 PM  
Linley, glad you discovered the old Domain map in the Turnbull Library Collection book. It was Robert Jessop who thought to supply the Library with maps. They did get permission from our club to publish it.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz