maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Mapping Policies

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 8 June 2012, 4:54 AM  
That Auckland Domain map has been superbly reproduced - even enlarged a tad to fit on the page. What is even better that it was professionally hand drawn in the old traditional method (prior to OCAD)by Jack Maitland. Had to look at the road borderlines to see that it wasn't computer drawn. The map date of 1986 confirms it too.

There was a time that a copy of all printed documents (including maps)had to be deposited with the Alexander Turnball Library. Now that we laser copy maps I doubt anyone has supplied a copy to the AT Library in years - if they ever did it to start with.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 8 June 2012, 5:40 AM  
As a side issue (nothing to do with this thread or orienteering): Having a look at the historical maps of NZ in "Map New Zealand; 100 Magnificent maps" from the collection of the Alexander Turnbull Library it is interesting to note that a map in 1868 had both the town/city and river spelt Whanganui (with the H), but the 1903 map had the H dropped for both the city and river. The H was later reinstated for the river name and National Park, and has almost made it back into the city name (citizens/Council willing).

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 November 2012, 11:41 AM  
I'm pleased to see that NZOF has agreed with my concern over the restrictions of OCAD licences. It has written to the IOF to seek wider support for an approach to OCAD. My goal - every orienteer able to prepare simple close to home maps.

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 20 November 2012, 12:06 PM  
http://oorienteering.sourceforge.net/?p=126

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 March 2014, 4:26 PM  
The latest OCAD newsletter has a survey, basically they are wanting to see whether anyone uses some old features so they can forget about them, eg working under Windows XP. There is a general comment box and I thought I would pursue the question of the individual licence. I wrote "The one-person licence is a real problem for the development of OCAD skills in our club situation, and the course-setting and starter versions do not overcome this for us." Others might wish to say something similar.

Show Profile  nh Posted: 18 March 2014, 5:36 AM  
Also a good idea to talk about all the cool things Open Orienteering Mapper has and try to get them included in OCAD

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 23 March 2014, 8:23 AM  
A big thanks to magnus for sharing that link to OpenOrienteering, I have been using it since then and have found it excellent.

One awesome feature is overprint simulation. That seems to be missing from OCAD as far as I know and really needs to be added.

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 23 March 2014, 12:26 PM  
Is it really needed to add things to OCAD, or will OCAD be superseded by OpenOrienteering?

IMHO OCAD has fallen behind in it's licencing and features. The fact that in this age it doesn't have a floating licence server is ridiculous. Each club should be able to buy say 1 or 2 licences, to be able to be used by any club member connected via the internet. Or to checkout a licence for a short period of time offline. This is how most (all?) commercial engineering packages work.

Also when OCAD got into wide usage (around OCAD 5/6 ~ late 90’s) it really was quite cutting edge. Although I don't own OCAD 11, i believe a lot of the feature development since OCAD is relatively incremental. If I compare OCAD 11 to a general CAD package (Catia in my field), it really is quite poor now.

I predict that in the next few years OCAD will die and be replaced by OpenOrienteering or a similar opensource pacakage. A tool written by users for users.
This is happening in a number of fields.

In fact in Orienteering, Purple Pen is a great example of an open source Planning tool which for normal events IMHO is significantly superior to CONDES & OCAD.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 24 March 2014, 11:02 AM  
I think your comments Keith are really on the money. It is interesting that pretty much all clubs in NZ are currently sitting on a version of OCAD 9 due to the licencing drama.

Majority of clubs do use OCAD for course setting. I know Hawke's Bay uses Condes - what do the other larger clubs use?

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 24 March 2014, 12:04 PM  
Bendigo uses CONDES

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 24 March 2014, 2:11 PM  
We use CONDES

Show Profile  AlisterM Posted: 24 March 2014, 3:18 PM  
PAPO uses Condes, which has a club license, so all club members are entitled to use it for planning club events.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 March 2014, 1:02 AM  
Do any clubs use Purple Pen on a regular basis?

Show Profile  DOCsec Posted: 25 March 2014, 9:51 AM  
Dunedin uses CONDES

Show Profile  svendp Posted: 25 March 2014, 10:20 AM  
SOC uses Purple Pen on a regular basis. Like Keith I think it is superior to both Condes and OCAD. I have used OCAD CS
once and I went back to pp.
I am very pappy with the OCAD 11 mapping program except I
haven't been able to find the auto save button.

In our club we have 3 OCAD 11 licences which means that we
can have the program installed on 6 computers if required.
For Sport Ident we use OR (Orienteering Results} a program
developed by Martin Flynn (Orienteering Ireland). This program does everything needed at club level and is so easy
to use, it takes only a few minutes instructions to teach
a new person to use it.

I tried the OE 2010 program with its 300 page manual but
since we purchased Sport Ident to reduce the workload, not
to increase it, the OR software was definitely the way to go.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz