maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Competition Insurance for Orienteering

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 28 June 2010, 6:51 AM  
Looking into Insurance for some up coming competitions in the Northern Hemisphere. Current travel insurance company will not cover "competions" so I am looking at other options. Has anyone come across any good insurance companies that will insure you for Orienteering (and potetnially travel in the same instance)?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 June 2010, 9:49 AM  
I'm surprised to hear that. Even though I have never had to claim for medical expenses but others have. Including the free credit card insurance cover which you might expect to be bargain basement.

The situation is different for MTBO and anyone concerned can take advantage of special cover that BikeNZ has arranged with an insurer.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 28 June 2010, 10:24 AM  
I've used Southern Cross in the past, which doesn't exclude racing on foot.

Show Profile  yajyaj Posted: 28 June 2010, 1:41 PM  
We have used one with Travelsmar, they offer a cover with QBE that includes amateur sports including "orienteering". Plus a load of others like kayaking,mountain biking and rafting, while on holiday. the booklet with the policy says.

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 29 June 2010, 1:28 AM  
We went with Southern Cross for the same reason Martin said.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 29 June 2010, 2:16 AM  
We used to use Souther Cross, but have now changed their policy and do not cover competitive events.

Couldn;t find any NZ companies willing to provde cover, so in the end went win an international company Bupa Insurance, www.ihi.com.

Covers all competitive events except motorsport.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 June 2010, 3:50 AM  
Wonder if there is a sponshorship opportunity here?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 June 2010, 10:20 AM  
Brent I wonder if your conclusion is relevant to those who orienteer only on foot? The Southern Cross policy wording has an exclusion for "racing of any sort (other than on foot)". This suggests to me that foot-o should be fine.

Pleased to see that SC car rental excess cover doesn't seem to require taking up all the rental company excess waiver options, for which they charge an arm and a leg.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 1 July 2010, 4:28 AM  
After a bit of question asking I have discovered the following:

Southern Cross will cover Orienteering as long as it is amateur sport.

Aon (ACE) also offered to cover the Orienteering at no extra cost.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz