maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

WOC 2014 Italia

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 9 July 2014, 5:27 AM  
Yeah, but loved those Nanna's out shopping as the Czech and Russian men try to politely scream full noise past them. Pity about the rain. Watched Lena Eliasson cut through the middle of a corner cafe and slip on the marble. Still picked up a place though!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 July 2014, 7:06 PM  
A strong run by Greta, secure in 37th (none of the remaining runners should be anywhere near). Teamed up with Liis Johansson for the middle part of the course, which I think helped them both pick up a few places.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 July 2014, 7:14 PM  
Matt currently 30th of 51, with plenty still to finish that looks like it will translate to either side of 50th. Ahead of runners from Hungary, Belarus, the North Americans and the 2 Spanish and the 2 Portugese - so certainly to NZ's benefit to have a result in the race. Looks a fun map but physically tough - just what a WOC long should be.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 July 2014, 7:45 PM  
Geourgiou not just the king of middle distance it seems - first man to take 3 long distance world titles apparently. Unfortunately this TG/Hubmann/Lundanes battle has kept me awake much longer than I should have!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 10 July 2014, 5:22 AM  
The chatter on Attackpoint includes some very unofficial calculations that suggest Greta's long result has NZ firmly favourite for promotion into tier 2 for the women!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 10 July 2014, 6:27 AM  
Actually I didn't notice earlier it was Blair doing the sums, so they're probably fairly accurate!

To quote:"For the women: NZL 91, CHN 50, JPN 49, BUL 43, then several in the 20s and 30s"

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 11 July 2014, 10:02 AM  
Yes, if it's a Blair estimate, it's probably good to about 4 decimal places.

For the middle, looks like Lizzie is off at 11:04 pm and Ross at 12:55 am NZ time. Go Kiwi!

Very odd, the whole start list thing, with the women's long getting redrawn at the whim of the IOF. For the middle it looks like the IOF is sticking to its own rules. Still seems strange that Francois Gonon should be first starter, when he came 13th in the long, and won the French middle distance champs earlier in the year. Have to keep those world ranking points coming!

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 11 July 2014, 4:14 PM  
Shot Lizzie, good air time on the tv coverage!

Show Profile  Kiwiclimber Posted: 11 July 2014, 5:35 PM  
Excellent result for Lizzie Ingham in the Middle, equal 20th (and 3rd fastest to the 1st radio control).

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 July 2014, 8:04 PM  
Gueorgiou Long Distance champion and Lundanes Middle Distance champion - I saw an article recently suggesting the earth's polarity may be approaching a switch, has it already happened?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 12 July 2014, 7:20 AM  
Relay time!!

Women start 11pm NZT, 28 teams.
NZ order: Greta, Lizzie, Imogene. If we see a Venla*-like 1st leg from Greta, then I'd be confident on significant improvement on their 21st seeding (which I assume is last year's result). Promotion to tier 2 for 2015 all but certain now, so if that has been adding any pressure they can forget it now and just focus on today's race!
Sweden (Jansson, Billstam, Alexandersson) probably favourites but the Swiss (Luscher, Hauswirth, Wyder) don't seem to be missing Simone, and the Danes (E Klingenberg, Bobach, Alm) will make sure it won't be a 2 horse race. Plenty of potential in the Norwegian and Finnish teams but they haven't really been firing as individuals. Watch out for Russia or Britain.

Men start 0:55 NZT (one more late night to survive!) 34 teams.
NZ order: Tim, Ross, Matt (incidentally I fully approve of both teams' running orders). Breaking into the top 20 a definite possibility, but many of the teams around them have either similar depth (Belarus, Germany, Poland...) or one star runner (eg Belgium or Ireland) who could individually create too great a lead for the kiwi guys to haul in before the finish line. Much could depend on who has recovered best from the long and middle.
I'm going to call the Swiss (Hertner, D Hubmann, M Kyburz) favourites but it's a much tougher call than the women! The Russians (Novikov, Khramov, Tsvetkov) are strong, but strong enough to defend? The Swedish men in recent years seem to perform as a relay team stronger than individuals, but this year their guys have been performing well anyway. Never ignore Norway, and while I thought the French might have dropped back from their time among the front-runners, if Tranchand and Gonon can stay in reach of the leaders, they have an angry man looking for redemption on the last leg! If you want an outside chance, I like the look of the Czechs. Simonin (Ireland) and/or Michiels (Belgium) could throw an element of chaos into the first leg standings!

*Venla as in the race, not the person, but I am a little disappointed to not see Venla the person running 1st leg for the Finns!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 12 July 2014, 7:51 AM  
Live centre here:
http://www.woc2014.info/woc.php#sezliveWoc

Swedish tv coverage, http://www.svtplay.se/video/2167244/vm-i-orientering (free, but if I've done my time-sums right, broadcast doesn't start until most of the way through the women's race - may be time to pay for the official video feed)

Stay up and Follow - it will be exciting!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 July 2014, 5:33 PM  
I like it, oi oi oi.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 July 2014, 6:44 AM  
Was all a bit too exciting to post anything as it happened, but all the NZ team performed well with both men and women improving several places on recent years. Special mention though to Lizzie who ran apparently the 3rd fastest leg 2, to bring the women up into the top 10 at that point.

I believe NZ was always the most likely candidate for promotion into tier 2 for the women, but Greta, Lizzie and Immy's efforts over the last few days have made it absolutely certain and built up a big enough points cushion we can be hopeful they won't be dropping back down next year. So 2 places for NZ in the women's long and middle next year and hopefully 2016. Still just one place in each for the men, but don't forget that there'll be another 4 WOC starts available for Oceania champions next year. The Aussies will be favourites to take those as they'll be decided in Tasmania, but I reckon we can plan on stealing at least one or two!

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 13 July 2014, 5:20 PM  
Lizzie was 6th fastest of leg 1 & 2 combined

http://obasen.orientering.se/winsplits/online/en/default.asp?page=table&databaseId=31972&categoryId=1

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz