maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

NZ Championships 2015

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 February 2015, 3:36 AM  
Another reason for a 'constant' nationals website: previous years' results could be archived there. It appears at the moment if the host club decides post nationals their purpose-built website is no longer required and shut it down, then unless Bryan has captured that year's results they then disappear off the net?

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 7 February 2015, 8:31 AM  
All the NZ nationals results are on winsplits going back to 2005.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 February 2015, 11:12 AM  
only individual races for last year according to my search terms. I wasn't there but I think there was a relay.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 7 February 2015, 1:17 PM  
I just searched for the most recent 20 years and country New Zealand. It actually goes back to 2003. The nationals is called all sorts of different things and there are some events missing.

Here is the 2014 relay results saved by the internet archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140528093745/http://nzoc14.wellingtonorienteering.org.nz/file/107

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 February 2015, 2:25 PM  
Thanks Fraser, that's what I needed - although would you believe the first time I tried accessing that their server was down! You probably heard the groan in Wanaka.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 10 February 2015, 4:28 AM  
I think the problem with previous websites disappearing is greater than just the nationals. Sprint the Bays website is now gone, that was a great resource with all their past maps. And the jwoc 2013 blog is now a dentist. Other than setting up a specific website to archive orienteering websites I'm not sure what the solution is.

Back to the nationals, rumours that the maps are very rocky and awesome from two different sources now. Sounds great.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 10 February 2015, 12:59 PM  
make that three sources... and I expect I've only seen the 'least' interesting third of the mapped area!

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 10 February 2015, 2:59 PM  
Its the best non-forested terrain you can possibly get.

Show Profile  R2 Posted: 20 February 2015, 10:18 AM  
Just looking at the grades/course info for the champs and see that for the Sprint event Course 4 (M55, M60, M65, W16, W18, W45, W50, W55) are running a Yellow course difficulty. Courses 1-3 are on Orange difficulty.
Is this correct and course 4 will be set with controls along linear features etc. If so, do I need to run Course 3 to get a more typical sprint event set for experienced orienteers?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 20 February 2015, 6:18 PM  
There aren't any guidelines around difficulty levels for sprints that I am aware of. I'm not involved in this event but at NZSS sprint last year all the courses from y7/8 up had similar difficulty.

Perhaps this is something for the new ONZ Technical Committee to look into.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 February 2015, 3:39 AM  
The difficulty definitions have done us well over many years but it's clear they don't apply to park or urban terrain. The TC needs to work with the new Coaching Committee and the Eyesight Committee here.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 22 February 2015, 12:58 PM  
British Orienteering Federation's guidelines state:

10.4 Technical Difficulty

10.4.1 The definitions of the levels of Technical Difficulty are defined with forest based orienteering in mind and so do not easily equate to Sprint races. The nature of the terrain often limits the maximum Technical Difficulty to TD3 since control sites are rarely far from line features. Senior courses should be planned to be as
technically difficult as possible, however the perceived Technical Difficulty is often higher than this because of the high decision making rate needed to execute a Sprint course satisfactorily.

10.4.2 This also means that the provision of courses which are perceived to be TD1 may not be possible.

So essentially it isn't the terrain alone that determines the difficulty of a sprint but the terrain vs. speed of decision required. Something that a colour rating can't convey.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 22 February 2015, 1:33 PM  
And just for interest sake the IOF rules (Appendix 6) describe the controls for sprint as technically easy but difficult route choice.

"Finding the controls should not be the challenge; rather the ability to choose and complete the best route to them."

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 February 2015, 9:32 AM  
So, R2, just run faster:-))

Show Profile  R2 Posted: 23 February 2015, 1:30 PM  
Thanks -I will assume that the course grading of yellow can be ignored as it is a sprint and I can stay in my correct age grade...just need to get some speed between now and Easter!

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz