maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

GODZone 2016

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 2 April 2016, 12:50 PM  
GODZone 2016 started today. I see stage 4 includes some orienteering by Lake Rotoiti.

http://godzoneadventure.com/live/route/stage-4/
> Here they will complete an elite level foot orienteering course that has been set by Nelson Orienteering Club, using a proper orienteering map.

On the model map I found a site that looked like it was marked for a control, number "32", I wonder if that is their second control?

Looks like there is an MTBO stage too.

Should be interesting watching.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 April 2016, 4:34 PM  
An unfortunate choice. The West Bay map (as at my last visit) contains a myriad of vegetation and contour features that cannot be seen on the ground by good orienteers.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 3 April 2016, 5:17 AM  
Going Back to Stage 2 ... Rabbit Island MTBO / videoed

See on https://vimeo.com/161291874

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 3 April 2016, 7:50 AM  
Shame about your opinion of West Bay Michael. Although you've told me about it before and we're all entitled to our own opinions. Most elite orienteers I talk to enjoy West Bay. The vegetation is very accurately mapped but I agree about the contours. The map was one of the first lidar derived contour maps in the country. The mapping style was quite literal for contours which doesn't work so well in subtle flat terrain. Carsten remapped some of the contours for Teetotal for the relay because of this and that was noticed by some on the relay. But I find it just takes a different navigational approach,requiring constant map contact and focus on the task at hand. As for the map, it is planned to remap the contours and redo the vegetation at the same mapping scale as the three other maps, over the next 6-12 months. Hopefully your next visit will be more enjoyable then.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 3 April 2016, 8:53 AM  
Well Chris Forne and his new Team are about to find out first. Shouldn't be any bother for the orienteering navigators day or night but interesting to see how the other get on.
Amazing to see Chris' awesome route choice to CP12 pay big dividends stretching away from Swordfox, who caught Chris earlier on with a faster route early on to CP10.
Yealands are so fast I can't keep up... they've completed the orienteering and off to Rotoroa already

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 April 2016, 11:21 AM  
Is the timing on NZ Summer time? Will make it confusing later on.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 3 April 2016, 11:40 AM  
I thought the control placements were pretty fair, and much easier than Waikaia last year, where some teams took 12 hours to get around. The mtbo looked very achievable, and interesting to see Ritchie McCaw with the mapboard on his bike.

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 4 April 2016, 3:23 AM  
Looking at the map on the GODZone tracking page, it was control 10 of the orienteering leg that was found by many on the model map. As I write, Cure Kids have just successfully found it and crossed the road towards 11. The course (orienteering leg) looks to be orange level with the first and last few legs probably yellow. I wouldn't expect any of the teams to have too many problems* but in the middle of the night after a couple of days racing, who knows?

*Previous JWOC triallists may disagree with me.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 4 April 2016, 3:29 AM  
Philip Wood is Richies personal navigation coach. Rumor has it that he is a bit of a natural with the map and compass.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 4 April 2016, 1:02 PM  
I've heard that rumour about Phil too.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 April 2016, 10:21 AM  
What odds on Yealands finishing by midnight?

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 6 April 2016, 2:04 AM  
In hindsight, pretty good.

> Dan Moore, Sia Svendsen, Dan Busch and Chris Forne crossed the finish line in Kaiteriteri at 11.47pm.

And Brent's team have finished in second place. Well done to all.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 April 2016, 4:56 AM  
Expect another burst on the media front any moment now - Curekids (team #7) now on the final approach to the finish!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz