maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Disappointing use of RouteGadget

Show Profile  Gavin Posted: 28 April 2016, 4:07 PM  
Disappointing so few put their NZ Champs routes into RouteGadget, 40 for the Long, 24 for Mid, 29 for Sprint. Interesting for all to see are the fast, preferred, unusual and dud route choices, and choices one didn't even notice. It's useful information for learners and improvers we should be helping, and it's also entertaining in itself. You also get to see maps for the other grades.

And if you didn't go to an event, you can still see the courses. But all this is possible only if the organisers have taken the extra effort to set RG up after the event. Event managers won't bother if those taking part don't bother to use it!! And most events don't put it up. For example, no-one will ever get to see the ANZAC weekend maps and courses other than the people who ran their own maps. Hawkes Bay and Nelson clubs are exceptions. So put your routes into RouteGadget, relive the run and entertain us.
Link to NZ RG - http://rg.orienteering.org.nz/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 April 2016, 6:50 AM  
Hear hear. I've put untold time into overcoming various technical problems to load events, only to find that hardly anyone posts their routes. As well as the benefits that Gavin lists, the routes are feedback for the course planners. I have to ask, why can't you be bothered?

Show Profile  KevO Posted: 29 April 2016, 9:29 AM  
Just back from the UK. Did the Northern Champs whilst I was there. So, for comparison...
1000+ Competitors
104 Routes uploaded
Approx half of these appear to be GPS tracks [I assume from watches]

As an aside - Isn't this against the rules..?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 29 April 2016, 2:30 PM  
I load the Nelson results onto Winsplits and Routgadget. The process normally takes about the same amount of time for each. I do it as a record of the courses and events but also in the hope that even if only one or two people load their routes then they will hopefully get something out of it. I also consider it underutilised for training.

Show Profile  hughff Posted: 30 April 2016, 9:45 AM  
Fair call. I've gone back to the NZOC files and added my courses. You can find them under "what not to do."

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 30 April 2016, 3:47 PM  
Nationals Long - very enlightening .Very entertaining. Where did you run?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 9 May 2016, 1:37 AM  
Another weekend goes by of top orienteering racing and no public record of the maps, courses, routes to view for those of us who want to feel part of a national sport. Sigh...

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 9 May 2016, 4:58 AM  
Agree Michael, it would easily be the best event archive, and accessible to all for all manner of reasons including future courses setting on the same map.

Glad you found that entertaining Al

Show Profile  hughff Posted: 9 May 2016, 5:49 AM  
Not entirely without record, though it makes for brutal viewing:
http://rg.orienteering.org.nz/gadget/cgi-bin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=398

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 9 May 2016, 7:16 AM  
I stand corrected Hugh! But, I was alluding to the Auckland Champs though. Not that you'd know from routechoice that one of the '4 majors', as it's been referred to previously, took place during the weekend.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 9 May 2016, 9:24 AM  
I know it's not quite the same as routegadget but between these three DOMAs most of the major events are normally covered with course one. And yes, there is one Auckland Champs map from the weekend so far.

http://www.numberoneaucklanddoma.com/maps/users.php
http://ogang.org/doma/users.php
http://maps.orienteering.co.nz/users.php

Show Profile  Mike B Posted: 9 May 2016, 11:35 AM  
I've been trying to encourage some of the Auckland juniors to use route gadget as it's a great learning tool but they seem reluctant to use it. Not sure why, maybe something about not wanting others to see the balls ups they make or they have no idea where they've been in the first place.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 May 2016, 12:22 PM  
there were Auckland champs this weekend?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 9 May 2016, 4:57 PM  
Thanks to Hutt Valley, Auckland and Hawkes Bay for posting their events from the weekend. And to Fraser for those links. Looking forward to next club event in a fortnight.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 10 May 2016, 2:27 AM  
Not much point putting up routegadget if no one really cares about going to the event in the first place.

As Nic points out "There were Auckland Champs this weekend?" and then Michael "Thanks to Hutt Valley, Auckland and Hawkes Bay for posting their events from the weekend"

Can anyone else see the problem! Auckland champs is one of the 4 major Area Champs events in the ONZ calendar - One of 5 events that contribute to an ONZ Trophy for what is the best all round NZ orienteer over the year, yet bugger all people knew about it and ALL the other areas held other events - what a f'en joke.

This message was edited by Greg on 10 May 2016, 8:30 AM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 May 2016, 4:25 AM  
For regional and local programme planning, getting the date of the 2016 Auck Champs was like blood from a stone.

Enough of the past. By now we should have dates of the area championships for 2017. In the second quarter a well-organised region would be considering its regional dates (area relays, OYs etc) within the context of the "biggies". In the third quarter filling in the local dates. OK there's slippage but the process has to be done by Christmas. And it has to be done top-down.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz