maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Bruce Collins RIP

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 12 January 2018, 11:22 PM  
Bruce Collins passed away on 3 Jan.
Bruce is one of only 9 people ever to be awarded life membership of ONZ. He was President and Treasurer of Hamilton Orienteering Club (Now Orienteering Waikato) and was significantly involved with mapping and event organisation. Bruce moved to the Dunedin in the late 90s.
Condolences to his family.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 13 January 2018, 12:27 AM  
I recall Bruce for his significant contribution as editor of the NZ Orienteering magazine in the 1990s. My thoughts are with his family.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 January 2018, 2:06 PM  
Bruce was also the last volunteer Secretary of NZOF, before a paid General Manager position was created. Ie we now pay for what he did for free, and we must thank him immensely for that. Goodbye Bruce.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 19 January 2018, 6:49 AM  
I am saddened to hear of the passing of Bruce.

Bruce was awarded the Silva Award by NZOF in 1996 for Sevices to Orienteering.

He organised the first South Island All Night interclub Orienteering Relays in 2002 based in Central Otago. This event was the equivalent of Katoa Po and as "Mr Katoa Po" I had the privilege of attending it. Sadly the annual event only carried on for a few years.

I first worked with Bruce and the Hamilton O Club when I was a Controller at the Nationals based on the Glenora (Wharepapa South) map. This was one of the last hand-drawn maps used for the Nationals and Bruce drew it.

I again worked with him and members of the Dunedin Orienteering Club when I ran the Controllers Clinic based at Waikouaiti. I found Bruce easy to work with and a bundle of energy - without his input I couldn't have done my job.

RIP Bruce. NZ Orienteering has progressed a long way on the foundations you laid down years ago.

My condolences to the Collins whanau.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz