maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Potential Orienteering Map database.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 6 May 2007, 8:50 AM  
Christchurch.

Tane, Jamie and co. You guys should sort out a series after oceanias.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 5 June 2007, 1:10 AM  
Anyone checked out the Earnscleugh Historic Tailings Reserve near Alexandra? Looks wierd on Google. Even if the tailings unusable, the trees near the river may be ok for a short-o.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 June 2007, 6:58 AM  
Simon A

I've marked on the potential o map link some places that could be worth a look if you are going to do that stealth thing. Happy hunting, fill your car up, its a BIG forest!

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 6 June 2007, 10:11 AM  
Yes, Brian Buschl was looking into that area recently

I think there is some quite old map around that area that hasnt been used for years known as "Elephant Rocks"

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 June 2007, 12:49 PM  
Does anyone know where Raroa was/is and could put it on the database map?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 6 June 2007, 11:42 PM  
and tyger country

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 7 January 2008, 1:26 AM  
Just had a holiday near Riversdale Beach and found 3 new areas of
runnable pines - one about 2-3 km from the beach resort; another
about 5-10 km from the beach; and a large area near Blairlogie. I've added them to the potential maps.

This message was edited by Bryan Teahan on 7 January 2008, 9:52 AM

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 11 February 2008, 1:29 AM  
Two areas of runnable pines:

Area One:
South East of Paekakariki (east of transmission gully) - area close to SH 1 is steep but runnable and has a few owners but this is only a small area of the forest. Area further back
has one private owner only. At the back at the foothills of Wainui
there's a steepish connecting farm area and then about 1-2sq km of open run pines ranging from flat to moderately steep - all owned by the Wellington Regional Water Board - there are also some young pines which are a bit too close at the moment to run in.

Area Two:
East of Battle Hill Farm (already mapped) and East of Transmission Gully - several square kilometres of steep open run pine forest owned by the Wellington Regional Council

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 22 April 2008, 4:07 AM  
It's dissapointing news to hear CD pulling out of hosting 2009 Nats due insufficient nos of people to run the events. You guys have some great terrain to chose from.
If though by some chance the event gets moved north to the Akl clubs, what might be our possibilities be?
BT suggested there was an area inland from Puhoi. Has Mangawhai got enough unfelled trees to be large enough to remap? Could this be the opportunity we've been waiting for to check out the big forest towards Pouto Point south of Dargaville? I know it's a bit of a drive but looking at google earth potentially there is a possibility that there is some fantastic sanddune type terrain. West of Rototuna looks good on the photos.
It would be a shame if we repeat our experience of Taharoa, where the chainsaws beat us to a superb forest.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 3 March 2010, 1:31 AM  
I've added 3 potential areas to the database following a holiday to Gisborne over the new year.

1. Waikaremoana

Native runnable bush between Lake Waikaremoana and Lake Waikareiti near Aniwaniwa - several sq kms with lakes and slumps

2. Waikaremoana caves

Small area but plenty of rocks, caves, maybe too overgrown

3. Eastwoodhill Arboretum

Lovely parkland/tree area - good for sprint or middle - potential for large maps if pines accross road used - on road to Rere rock slide.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 3 March 2010, 4:47 AM  
Interesting Underwater O off East Cape Bryan. Check out your flag

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 5 March 2010, 2:39 AM  
Yes, that's my secret underwater Atlantis Fantasia map.

I tried to delete it but it keeps coming back.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 April 2010, 4:09 PM  
whilst on the cental otago tiki tour i spotted from a distance a large area of bright white rocks amoungst the prolific Schist in the Poolburn/Idaburn Valley area. I couldn't get close without going through a station but found a tiny area of the same rocks further up the valley, turned out to be Quartz or similar, it seemed very odd and interesting, not that there is a shortage of areas in the region but worth closer inspection if looking for something that could be very unique. Iv'e marked it on the Potential Map link. Unfortunately it's almost all covered in cloud on the google photo tho.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 April 2010, 4:16 PM  
then while flying back to Orks and admiring the view out the window a large area of limestone rock terrain west of Huntly caught my eye. Looking on the topo maps and google it looks a lot like Huiwai only not as steep, some areas of trees and more interesting contours. Again marked on Potential map site. Check it

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 28 April 2010, 2:31 PM  
GRETA VALLEY - opportunity for PAPO. Sited from the car on the way back home to Nelson. Looks like a nice pine forest on intricate gulley spur terrain. This area has a very interesting underlying geology that could make it challenging. Looks like only private small holders forest though rather than a big forest company. Area north of corner of Elliots and Gibbs Roads. Elevation range looks like 200 - 400m. Trees looked well kept and no more than 15 years old.

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz