maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

SI-Air, Lonely Mountain Sprints

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 22 January 2020, 10:02 AM  
I'll be using SI-Air for the first time this weekend, so I'd hoped to get to the Lonely Mountain model event specifically to familiarise myself with it. But I think my flight arrival makes it basically impossible to get to the other end of New Plymouth in time, so I'll be rocking up to the startline on Saturday morning with no previous experience. So can the Maptalk community tell me anything I need to know about how to use the punching system in advance?

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 22 January 2020, 1:23 PM  
Apparently with those Air things you have no excuse to stop and rest while you hold the stick thing into the box for 20 seconds.
So I hope you are fit Nic

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 23 January 2020, 7:52 AM  
My advice:
Hold the SI Air to your ear straight after you pass it 'over' the control to hear the 'beep'. This is important if more than one person gets to the control at the same time and if you have a hearing problem like me. You need to make sure your beeper is beeping. Especially important if the SI Air function hasn't been correctly activated in the unit during calibration. It happened to me twice in one event in Auckland. In that case, make sure you punch the control like you normally would.

Don't worry if your unit beeps while going past a control that isn't yours.

Don't go near the finish chute while you're still racing, it switches it off.

Always check the number.

Find new excuses to stop regularly on your course.

Practice your Scandinavian Flop for the finishing chute to dive over the line in a superman pose.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 January 2020, 9:38 AM  
Responding to the common thread in the above - yes, after trying to keep up with the PAPO juniors on Sunday where the controls were completely 'virtual', I'm already painfully aware I'm going to miss those brief rests at each control!

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 23 January 2020, 11:35 PM  
The most common excuse (reason) among us older runners to stop frequently is Age-related Macular Degeneration. In order to use this excuse you need to purchase bifocals and a large magnifier.

My excuse is that I'm lazy and unfit... no special equipment needed.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 February 2020, 1:35 AM  
Youda had plenty of excuses to stop at STB then Michael?

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz